Saturday, April 18, 2009

TOP TEN THINGS THAT PISS ME OFF ABOUT RUNNING OUTSIDE

It still surprises me, but I love running. I really do. If I didn't, I don't think I would have stuck with it this long. But there are definitely a few things about running on a public road that annoy the crap out of me, so I thought I would do a little top ten about them.

10. Potholes that you don't see until it is too late.

9. Earthworms and / or snakes on the side of the road.

8. Strong headwinds.

7. Cars that - no lie - actually move to the side of the road, CLOSER to where I am running, then speed up and nearly clip me. Almost had my foot run over today. Do these people have runner-rage?

6. Cars that - quite the opposite - move all the way to the other side of the road so that they are not in danger of clipping me. While I appreciate the gesture, I don't think that my girth is quite so large that it takes up an entire half of the road, intended for entire vehicles to fit on. I try to stay on the sidewalks or in the bike path. You don't need to drive into oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road in order to avoid me. Really, you don't, and it is insulting.

5. Fresh Road Kill.

4. Road Kill that is definitely NOT fresh and has most likely been there for a few weeks.

3. Cars that beep loudly at me when they drive by. Jesus, sometimes they scare the CRAP out of me.

2. Cars (mostly trucks) driven by men who whistle and / or cat-call at me while I am running. Eww. (Question for these men: Has this approach - whistling and cat-calling at complete strangers - EVER worked for you? EVER???)

1. Trying out a brand new route and suddenly feeling very overwhelmingly ALONE...and vulnerable.
|