Sunday, June 20, 2010

MOMENTS

I had a GOOD weekend. Actually, no - an AWESOME weekend. It was a weekend full of several little moments that, in the end, resulted in two enthusiastic thumbs up.

****

Good: taking our daughter to see 'Toy Story 3' yesterday, a movie she's been dying to see for a solid eight months.

Awesome: having the movie far far FAR supersede all possible expectations. Laughing harder than I have laughed in years. Feeling a lump in my throat and then going with it, letting the tears flow during those final scenes - scenes that were perfectly orchestrated to tug - no, yank - at our heartstrings. Knowing that I have just seen a nearly "perfect" film.

****

Good: going with Anthony and Amanda to a cookout yesterday afternoon with a group of new friends.

Awesome: going with Anthony and Amanda to a cookout yesterday afternoon with a group of new friends with a POOL!!!!!!! (ha ha)

****

Good: dinner at the Yard House.

Awesome: dinner at the Yard House with Anthony and a diverse bunch of people, all gathered to say goodbye to a dear friend who is moving two time zones away. It was a great group of old friends who are now new friends...again. If that makes sense.

****

Good: catching up with one of my favorite favorite people EVER at dinner.

Awesome: this person forcing me to spend a good half hour explaining to him WHY he is one of my favorite people on the planet. I felt like I needed graphs and pie charts...(which is one of the things that makes him one of my favorites!)

****

Good: moving on to a hometown bar to meet up with even more old new friends.

Awesome: the bar's musical entertainment for the night: two accoustic guitar players, one of whom was another old friend. He is an incredible guitar player...and he's not bad to look at, either!

****

Good: Guitar players announcing that they were dedicating their next song to our friend who is moving to Kansas.

Awesome: Them breaking into 'Dueling Banjos' from "Deliverance"

****

Good: Having a great night out

Awesome: Having a tremendously successful send-off for our friend.

****

Good: Two beautiful, hot sunny days this weekend

Awesome: No humidity, and it STILL isn't officially summer!

****

Good: Out to breakfast with Anthony and Amanda for Father's Day

Awesome: surprised that our BREAKFASTS (french toast, pancakes) came with scoops of ICE CREAM on it!!!! AWE-SOME!!!!

****

Good: heading to New Hampshire to see my Dad. (Anthony and Amanda went to see his Dad).

Awesome: spending the two hour drive playing all my favorite songs at Volume 11 and singing along until I lost my voice completely.

****

Good: Taking a "different" route to the lake house I have been driving to for over twenty-five years.

Awesome: Having my GPS almost die when I had no idea where I was, and not caring at all because I was feeling adventuresome.

****

Good: Spending the day with my parents, and my sister and her husband.

Awesome: Spending most of that day swimming in the lake and lying out in the gorgeous sun, knowing that it was raining and storming at home.

****

Good: Hitting no traffic on the two hour drive home from NH.

Awesome: Arriving home just as the storms here were over.

****

Good: Finding out that one of my best friends is in labor with her first born child (a little boy) today.

Awesome: Today is father's day - how psyched is her husband right now??!!?? (*note: at the time of this post he is not born yet, but it should be very soon!!!)

Even More Awesome: hearing news about a wonderful couple with regards to becoming parents - a story I am not at liberty to share right now - but suffice it to say a couple that has wanted to be parents for a long time has finally achieved their goal, and I couldn't possibly be happier for them, or for the child they have adopted. Talk about a Happy Father's Day!

****

Good: getting home and chatting online with the sister I didn't get to see this weekend.

Awesome: chatting for a good ten minutes about 'Toy Story 3' and getting all choked up thinking about the movie again.

****

Most of my days, weeks, months, and then years have a tendency to start to blend into one another. I keep finding myself saying "I can't believe it is already (insert month here)." Weekends like this one remind me that every year, month, week, and day is filled with special moments. These moments can be enormously significant, or remarkably stupid. But it is important to try to recognize them, for each moment is a memory being created. Each moment provides an opportunity to remember, or to forget.

Nothing particularly monumental happened this weekend. But because the little moments that DID happen were acknowledged and savored, this weekend will be one I will remember for a long, long time.
|