Sunday, October 24, 2010

TALES FROM THE ROAD

Usually when I go for a run, I stay in my head and do a lot of thinking. Nothing overly exciting. But once in a while something memorable (good or bad) happens when I am out there pounding the pavement.

Yesterday I went out for a ten miler, and when I was getting back to my neighborhood close to mile nine, a little boy who was outside playing decided he was going to join me. I am guessing that he was about seven or eight years old.

"Where are you going?" he asked me. So I told him I was just out running and pointed out where my course was about to take me. The entire time the boy was running alongside me.

"Are you coming with me?" I asked, amused.

"Yup!" he said.

And we ran together for a good two minutes. He was talking to me a mile a minute at first, and then as if someone flipped the "off" switch, he was silent.

Finally he looks at me, slowing down, and says "You know......I know a shortcut."

Highlight of my run, that cute little boy.
|